Thursday 7 February 2008

Hi-Ex! Report

Dennis!Dennis!

Over the weekend of February 2nd and 3rd I was the at The Highlands International Comic Expo in Inverness, it was a great event. Organised by Vicky Stonebridge and Richmond Clements, it was the first event of it's kind ever to be held in the north of Scotland.

It was a fair hike on the train for me, six hours each way roughly, but the scenery on the way through the Highlands is breathtaking. As is Inverness itself. On saturday morning I saw a huge seal swimming in the river, not far from the town centre.

Unfortunately the weather was pretty grim, and some of the guests, including Alan Grant, didn't make it. Which resulted in me standing in on the scriptwriting panel alongside writer Al Ewing and artist Declan Shalvey. Naturally we were inspirational and insightful!

I created a new mini-comic just for the event to give away to people, and because I wanted to support Vicky and Rich in their crazy endeavour. Nessie Vs Dracula it's called, and to my astonishment all the copies I took along were gone by 2.00 on saturday afternoon. I had to make a mailing list for people who still wanted a copy. In it's own small way this shows what a success Hi-Ex was. There were so many kids, and people who hadn't been to a con before. The atmosphere was wonderful. Hi-Ex 2009 has been announced, I'm looking forward to it already.

So hello to everyone I saw at the weekend, and thanks to anyone who bought one of my comics. You're the best!

http://www.hi-ex.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment